Getting Started With Twitter: 10 Tips for Freelance Translators by Louisa Stockley

Today, I attended an online webinar, hosted by online marketing consultant, Louisa Stockley, on how to grow your freelance translation business using Twitter.

I had been using Twitter for quite a while, but it wasn't until last year that I started using my Twitter account for professional matters. Since then, I have realized that Twitter is in fact a really powerful tool for entrepreneurs. I attended this webinar with big interests, and I would like to share some of the tips on how to add value to our freelance translator business using Twitter.

  1. Set up profile. State that you are a freelance translator and add a link to your website, and if you don't have any (like me), add a link to your blog, About.me, LinkedIn, etc.
  2. Start following people and interact with them. Translation companies, translation agencies, companies you would like to work for, clients, other translators and bloggers. Some examples of people and companies I follow: , , , , , , ....
  3. Use hashtags. #xl8 (meaning translation),  #l10n (meaning localization), #translationjobs, #translator, #t9n (internationalization), #trados. When you write a post you can extend your post beyond your followers using a #.
  4. 80/20 rule. (I had no idea about this one!) 80% should be your own opinions, with 20% being retweets. You are more likely to get followers if you share your opinions.
  5. Post something every day, at least. 
  6. Share your posts. Use your twitter to link it back to your blog or website.
  7. Hootsuite. With this free tool you can set up alerts. For example, set up a stream that tracks the word "translation" so you can monitor the whole of the Twitter sphere for conversations you could contribute to, or users you can follow.
  8. Keep at it. Little by little you will see the results! The more you tweet, the more exposure you are getting. Therefore the more you are advertising your business.
  9. Post in multiple languages. Showcase your ability to talk in different languages, translate interesting feeds. 
  10. Be witty, engaging, worthwhile and reply to everyone.  
 

Don't forget to keep it professional, but show your personality.

Some questions: 
  • How to engage with a final client? Keep a dialogue with them, stay professional, tweet them, and follow them. 
  • Should I use a profile picture of myself or my company logo? Use a picture of yourself! Twitter is about people; use your logo as the background picture if you want. 
If you want to download the whole article about the conference, written by Louisa Stockley, click here

 

Conclusion: 

I have a lot of work to do! I have mostly been using Twitter for networking with other translators, but now I have to start using it for more professional purposes. Future clients: HERE I GO!!


Comentarios

来看一下!